Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Update

The Salt Lake Half Marathon is 3 weeks from this coming Saturday and I'm excited, sad and nervous all at the same time. This is something that Jason and I have been wanting to do since he was unable to do The Park City Half with me last August. We have been all excited for this and training hard, not to mention Jason's training for the Half Iron Man, but a couple weeks ago, Right after the amazing game between Canada and The USA, Jason got hurt in a hockey game. We were holding out that it wasn't anything too bad and we were even prepared for him to have knee surgery. Once we got the MRI results, the doctor was shocked. It turns out that Jason crushed a bottom part of the femur. Odd? The doctor told us to think of it as a million tiny hairline features where the femur ends and the knee begins (which is why we were thinking knee surgery). We are kind of still in shock about it, because it seems so strange.
The only way for it to heal, is to stay off of it completely. So Jason has been on crutches since Feb 28Th and the doctor thinks that it could be until the end of June before he can actually bare full weight on his leg. In 3 weeks Jason can try putting 20% of his weight and then see how its feeling and so on.
Needless to say Jas is a little ticked off. He is praying to be back on his feet by the end of May. He is so worried that he is going to have to sit around for two summers in a row. The only thing he can do is swim as long as he doesn't kick his legs. So for my own sanity I've been taking him to the pool every other day. That's helping, but with this spring like weather it's killing him. Plus with the race coming up soon I know that he is way bummed that he is going to miss it.
On another note. Our baby girl's leg is getting much better, she can go for walks now and can even do stairs (only a few). She won't be able to start running or play fetch until late June. She was so sad when I took all the balls away so she wouldn't be tempted. I told Jas that he and Cali can start running slowly together in June. He didn't think I was funny.

No comments: